A new tool in the advertising technology industry (Header Bidding) made it easier for publishers to work with more sources of demand (advertising-lingo for sources of advertisements). AppNexus needed a simplified version of their enterprise product for smaller publishers to access our demand.
Our goal was to allow users to set up and understand AppNexus demand for header bidding without needing to work with account managers.
I was the the lead product designer on the project. Overall this included working with the research team, getting requirements from stakeholders, helping to plan the roadmap, and owning the final UX and visual design of the product.
Jello was a completely new product, with a new user type, which meant we couldn't use our regular research roster. It's also requires a certain level of knowledge to use, so we couldn't interview people on the street.
The initial understanding of users was driven by talking to internal stakeholders: sales, support, monitisation experts (The team that helps publishers optimise their advertising setup) and a few employees who ran their own sites. I focused on learning about which numbers and trends the user needs to evaluate AppNexus demand and to make changes to their site. I learned that the most important stats are revenue (obviously), RPM and the number of advertisement impressions they buy from us. They wanted to see these at a global level, as well as broken down by:
I've started the design process of every Jello project with a collaborative design process called a sketch session. Anyone related to the team (developers, project managers, sales, commercialisation, support etc) gets invited to a session where every sketches out their ideas. Over the course of the Jello projects I've run about six of these. They're a great way to generate a lot of ideas quickly, get buy in on design and make sure everyone is aligned around goals and requirements.
From there, to generate more ideas, I looked at some similar products from other industries. For example, apps for small retail shops were a rich source of inspiration. To make sure I was staying on goal with a realistic design I shared designs early and frequently with the development team and the director of the capability. In the end I decided on two options to explore at higher def.
Jello has been a very successful product at my company, both as a product and as a design process. Clients that have used Jello have enjoyed it. It's also been called a "model engagement" with the UX team by the head of the capability, as such more of our UX designers have been trying the sketch session process.